Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Caramel tofu "cheesecake"

I've always been a huge fan of cheesecake. Moist, a little bit sour, but sweet at the same time cake has been a tradition in my family. My mother prepares it for each holidays. Since I became vegan one year ago, I gave up on eating cheesecake. I was missing this taste and this year I decided to recreate it in a vegan version. My dad, who is also big amateur of cheesecake, said that it is better than the one bought in a bakery and he didn't even know there was no cheese in it. So I think that I succeeded and I want to share this recipe with you.


(photo by me)

Ingredients:

Crust:
- 300g oatcakes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp peanut butter

Filling:
- 2 bars natural tofu (2 x 180g)
- 100 g dry millet groats
- 1 1/4 glass coconut milk (the fatter the better)
- 3/4 glass sugar/ maple syrup/ agave syrup
- 3 tbsp potato flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 glass lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- pinch salt

Caramel glaze:
- about 50 dry dates
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp seasalt

1. Cook millet groats and allow to cool.
2. Preparing the crust: blend all ingredients together, then put it into a baking sheet with the baking paper. Put it into a frifge.
3. Preparing the filling: put all the ingredients (except coconut milk) into a bowl and blend it until all become very smooth. Then, slowly pour the milk, constantly mixing. Have a taste and add more sugar or lemon juice if you want.
4. Preheat the oven for 180 C degrees. Pour the "cheese" filling into a cooled crust and put it into oven for 15 minutes. After that time, reduce the temperature to 120 C degrees and bake another 45 minutes.
5. After that, turn off the oven and leave the cake inside for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 3 hours.
6. Preparing the glaze: do it when the cake is cooled down. Pour boiling water over dates and leave it for 15 minutes. Then blend dates with peanut butter and salt until smooth. Spread the "caramel" over the cake and sprinkle with peanuts or almond flakes.

Enjoy!

2 comments:


  1. I love culinary posts! I bake many cakes that are vegan or very healthy, due to my boyfriend and his eating habits, but I haven't met such an idea yet. This will be next cake that I have to try. I am waiting for more of your recipes. I haven't found a blog on the internet yet where the author devotes his time to creating non-standard recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like my recipe and that I've inspired you in some way, I will try to post more things like this! Besides being vegan, this cake is also much more healthier that a traditional one, so you should definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete

The coffee smoothie

I am a huge fan of all kinds of smoothies. It is a great snack between meals or before training. I would like to share with you recipe for m...